volvulus Dx

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sford 11 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mercado
    Participant

Gastro, volvulus theme page 158. It makes sense what you mention about diagnostic test for volvulus but ,emedicine mentioned “the most expeditous and definitive test is usually an upper gi contrast study which is perform in real time to document the position of the liament of treitz and the possible presence of proximal intestinal obstuction” what is your opinion?

emedicine.medscape.com/article/930576

bdig
    Participant

The point is that both are good choices, but if you get both options in a question, they’re looking for BE.

Hope that helps!

sford
    Participant

I hate to belabor this point, but regarding Volvulus, on page 195 of the study book it states: “If given the option, confirm the diagnosis with a BARIUM ENEMA over an upper GI series because it can lead to aspiration!”

However, in the answer to a question from the ABP 2012 PREP Self Assessment (NUMBER 106), they state: “UGI should be obtained when the infant’s predominant symptom is bilious vomiting because  a midgut volvulus may be catastrophic, and early surgical intervention is essential.”  They also state: “The most appropriate imaging to assess an infant who has bilious emesis and an abdominal radiograph suggesting a proximal bowel obstruction, is an UGI.”

Not trying to nitpick (I promise!) — just wanted to be sure I should still go with BE over an UGI if given the option…

Thanks so much!!!

sford
    Participant

BUMP :)

sford
    Participant

BUMP (AGAIN) :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.